Windsor & Essex County Breastfeeding Coalition
For General inquires
To Grow healthy, happy babies and mothers in Windsor Ontario
The Windsor Essex County Breastfeeding
Coalition was established around 2001-2002.
The main objectives of the coalition are to:
- Inform parents of the deeply satisfying, health optimizing, and
money-saving benefits of feeding babies breast milk for at least the
- Educate health professionals about appropriate advice and
support to keep mothers breastfeeding into the first year.
- Increase public awareness of life-long advantages of
breastfeeding for the infant, the mother, and the family.
- Support and help educate those interested in learning more about the Baby Friendly Initiative As we move to a more baby friendly environment. For more information go to http://www.bfiontario.ca/
Recent activities of the coalition include the following:
- Promoted World Breastfeeding Week with radio talk show, and TV news coverage
- Sponsored local Quintessence Foundation Breastfeeding Challenge from 2001 until present.
- Distributed breastfeeding promotional items to physician's office staff
- Supported peer counseling (labour and postpartum doula services).
- Initiated a letter writing campaign to ensure breastfeeding friendly policies at local hospital.
- Produced a Breastfeeding Friendly Resource list
- Initiated in Developing a Breastfeeding Fact Sheet
- Developed an introduction letter about the coalition
If you would like more information about the Windsor Essex
County Breastfeeding Coalition or would like to get involved, please email or
Thank you for visiting our web site.
The formation of the WECBC is the result of the
collective efforts of concerned breastfeeding parents,
Parenting advocates and professionals:
It has been set up to:
1. Provide a forum for association among/in the community
2. Function as an advisory board on behalf of the entire Breastfeeding community.
3. Support maintain and encourage the longevity of the breastfeeding relationship. To help and support when there are
challenges, and direct parents to the correct person when they have
difficulties that can not be answered
Join us to Celebrate World (Canadian)breastfeeding week.The first week of October, the tenth month of the year, is chosen to celebrate World Breastfeeding Week in Canada because it is in the first week of life (after nine months of gestation) that a baby starts to breastfeed.
on 2016-10-04 11:00AM
One of the regular events in Windsor is to kick off world breastfeeding week by participating in the Quintessence Breastfeeding Challenge, held in the first week of Breastfeeding Week. This event celebrates breastfeeding by a fun “competition” where every child “wins” because they are breastfed!!
Geographic areas ( province, state or territory) that have the most breastfeeding babies, as a percentage of the birthrate, “latched on.” at 11am local time are ‘winners’. The event demonstrates the promotion, protection and support for breastfeeding women and their families. It’s a chance for education and peer support done in a fun social way.
In 2001 when this event started, there were 856 babies at 26 sites in British Columbia, Canada. Last year there were 4,687 babies at 156 sites across Canada and the US. In Windsor last year (2014), we had 14 breastfeeding mothers and babies participate at the natural birth and parenting fair. This year we would love to see even more families participate. Do your part and join us! Every breastfeeding baby counts.
We are a Work in progress.
Please be patient with us.
"breastfeeding ~ an art worth learning"
Sponsored by: Danjo Creations.ca